Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Great Funnel Cake Adventure

AKA, The Great Waste of About Fifty Gallons of Vegetable Oil.
AKA, Let's See How Bad I Can Make the House Smell.

A few months ago, I was watching Good Eats at about 2 o'clock in the morning (any time is a good time to watch Good Eats). On this particular show, Alton Brown made pate a choux, and he said that you can make funnel cakes with the recipe. I then had a burning desire to make funnel cakes.

I gathered the ingredients and all of the vegetable oil (I think we had a little at the house, so we went out and got a thing of it, and I used the whole container). I even bought a cool little flipper/drainer thing! After about 2 weeks, the oil heated to the right temperature. I squeezed the batter into the pan with a piping bag (that part was very fun). I let them dry off. I tasted one.

Ew. It tasted like eggs. I think I accidentally cooked the eggs somewhere in the process. It was fun, but a complete waste of the afternoon. And the house smelled all fried for the rest of the day. Gross.

I know it wasn't Alton Brown's fault, so I continue to have an abnormal amount of love for him.




frying pan with nifty thermometer and candy corn on the microwave.


gross funnel cakes.

1 comment:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I have the same thermometer! :)